Thursday, October 03, 2013

Carnage



Rating : 9/10
Release Date : December, 2011
Time : 80 minutes
Director & Writer : Roman Polanski; Co-writer : Yasmina Reza (based on her own play ‘Le Dieu du carnage’); Music : Alexandre Desplat
Starring : Jodie Foster, Christoph Waltz, Kate Winslett, John C Reilly




Bitingly funny, savagely witty and explosively real. Contains projectile vomiting, spoilt suits, a dodgy Apple Cobbler, a maligned medicine, a damaged Art magazine and a violated mobile phone. Despite its title, there is no violence in the film, in fact, its about 2 sets of parents trying to amicably resolve a minor playground incident involving their young kids.




Jodie Foster is uptight, loves being in control, has very rigidly defined ideas of whats right and wrong. Her husband, John Reilly (has a business in hardware / bathroom fittings), is the complete opposite, chilled out, believes there is too much talk and theory going on and is happiest when relaxing with a special whiskey he is fond of and when not around hamsters.




Christoph Waltz is the most fascinating character, probably morally the most suspect, entirely self-obsessed, having a work crisis (he’s a lawyer for a pharma company), would rather be elsewhere but keeps staying back for coffee, some snacks and later whiskey. His wife, Kate Winslett is probably the person with the most nuances – she plays a suffering wife, a concerned mother, an animal activist (worried about the hamster) and later a person who takes charge…



There is a mirror held up in front of us for those who like to observe, introspect and done so with subtlety, finesse and a brilliant sense of humour. For a change, its not about love, romance or sex. Just a scathing, superb commentary on where our society is heading. Just loved it !

PS : The film was shot in a single location, in real time, without breaks and I think that does make a difference…

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Had seen d Indian play in theatre God of Carnage.. today downloaded & saw d movie too... Reminds me of a real lifetime tooth incident which I happened to experience years ago at Jaiselmer with both sets of parents missing. Single handedly managed d show.

Anonymous said...

Then we had gone to Ranthambore & Jim Corbett too. Both d times were lucky & spotted d tiger.. in it's full glory..& many rare variety of animals.. at Corbett we were so close to d herd of wild elephants..it was a close call. Thrilling..never miss an opportunity to b close to nature. Prefer to classroom teaching..children can learn a lot when outdoors.. soon another one...

Anonymous said...

Children- they crept right into yr soul... Magical. Their sunny disposition brings a ray of sunshine in my life. Mixed bag... They are like little elfs hopping around d class. Girls in particular are so spunky.. They've taught me more than I've taught them, about life & patience & courage... I love working with kids, which to me is a big kick. Content with my spartan existence. Keeps my motherly warmth alive.. miss having a daughter of my own..............

Anonymous said...

Have u heard d name of Dushwa National Park? It's close to d Nepal border.. strictly for nature lovers.. grasslands, marshes & rosewood forests, barking deer, species of birds, endangered species... elephant safari, tiger sightings & stay in d middle of a forest.. you have yr senses suffused by fragrant grass.. wake up to watch a stupendous sunrise over an unforgettable horizon.. as a kid had gone a couple of times, then d fascination was to visit Nepal for a day for shopping! We used to get those "foreign" erasers..& other girlie trinklets..how our prespective changes with time..

Anonymous said...

It is one of d few remaining examples of a highly productive Terai ecosystem... You know, what's d best part, when on an educational excursion.. combing the hair of little girls, simply love it, but one thing I still haven't been able to learn is, tie d patka of d sardar boys, that too is a skill, am so clumsy at.. have to learn a lot...

Anonymous said...

Having been written off as totally un-teachable at school. I was told that my brain was like a sieve & that everything that went in fell out d other side.. I would think up ways to escape that world.. & end up with fairytales, dark woods of my imagination... today I can relate to these tiny feet that traipse out with a spring in their step. I urge parents to listen to their children, so they can share in moments where they find absolute joy. It is so imp.that we nurture d 'gold dust' in our little heads while we still have it. Don't give it up to televisions & computers... Am passionate about telling stories.. there is no right or wrong way to tell a story, stories have souls, if u allow yrself to get to d emotional core of yr story, everything else will follow,.. kids sit up & listen.. stories are d ability to dream, which is unmistakabaly d most imp.thing a child can have... d trick is to let d story go, do not dilute d story, & never overthink yr stories.. Stories sh. travel & sh.have d ability to influence so many scattered & diverse children in such profoundly different yet similar ways...

Anonymous said...

D tiger dwells in d realm of mysticism, & there are two types of seekers. Those who are granted a darshan & those who aren't. D former don't catch merely a glimpse; they get a full frontal command performance. They also consider it their pious duty to rub their anointed status into d marshal-denied..

Anonymous said...

Oh, to be half as wonderful as my child thought I was when he was small, & only half as stupid as my teenager now thinks I am !

Anonymous said...

Connecting with my children brings me such joy-I'm much more focused on my emotional growth now. I used to avoid relationships because I thought they were a distraction. But now I'm in one, & I love my fondness for animals, nature, my travels, my life... Maybe those feelings would be different if I hadn't met This Man, though. Because when you achieve what you've always wanted, it's a little easier to move on... I want to be as impactful as I can. As a teacher, you have a responsibility to make someone better, or to make them realize that they can do whatever it is that they want to do..& I don't take that responsibility lightly.....

Anonymous said...

Gratitude is most beautiful when it is expressed & not just when it is felt. It makes me positive, happy & optimistic,helps to see the bright side of life..teaches the art of appreciation.... Isn't it the very basis of the law of attraction? To share your joy & happiness with others, ..... It should be an attitude to life, which we show to others..

Anonymous said...

Children absolutely need parental involvement, love, care, time & attention. People should work normal hours, go home at a decent time, play with kids, enjoy family & friends, inculcate the habit of reading at a young age, help them to write their thoughts (actual notebook & an actual pen : in the tech world, this is like carrying a stone tablet & chisel) daydream, clear their heads & refresh themselves. Working from home might actually be more productive for some.. .... Children are my role models..happy & thriving... they all want to be heard... a child can cry one moment & run off to play the next.. I wish I were strong enough to ignore what others say/do not say, but experience tells me I often can't.. But the upside of painful knowledge is so much greater than downside of blissful ignorance...